Platform Hosting - Database - SQL
The California Department of Technology (CDT) provides services on a number of database management system (DBMS) technologies for various hardware and operating system platforms. CDT offers Microsoft (MS) SQL on leased equipment within our Tier III data center.
MS SQL is available as an add-on component to Customers that subscribe to the Windows Platform Hosting services.
Industry Leading Performance
Take advantage of breakthrough scalability, performance, and availability for mission-critical, intelligent applications and data warehouses.
Gain transformative insights for your business with real-time analytics at up to 1M predictions/second.
End-to-end Mobile BI
Turn raw data into meaningful reports that can be delivered to any device.
Supported Software Versions
Version 2019 Version 2022
Mainstream support ends: February 28, 2025 Mainstream support ends: January 11, 2028
Extended support ends: January 8, 3030 Extended support ends: January 11, 2033
- CDT staff performs installation, patching, and product maintenance according to standard procedures and configurations.
- CDT supports version(s) of MS SQL on the Windows platform.
- CDT performs database backups on the following schedule:
Full backup Daily
Transaction log backup Every 3 hours, or custom
Backup retention 28 days
- The core business hours for CDT technical support are Monday through Friday 0800 – 1700. State holidays and mandated schedule alterations are observed and may impact staff availability.
- The MS SQL Server maintenance window is Saturday from 7 am to 12 pm during which time patching or upgrades may occur.
MS SQL database options (depending on version), include but are not limited to:
- Database Engine Services
- Analysis Services
- Reporting Services
- Integration Services
- Master Data Services
- Machine Learning Services
- Business Intelligence Data Tools
- Connectivity Components
- Data Quality Tools
- Advanced Compression
- Advanced Security
- High Availability configurations – AlwaysOn, clustering, replication.
- Integration with Azure
The core business hours for CDT technical support are Monday through Friday from 0800 – 1700. State holidays and mandated schedule alterations are observed and may impact staff availability. After hours, on-call technical support may be requested through a Case/Request submitted 10 days prior to the requested date and may incur additional charges.
Role CDT Customer
Installation, upgrades, patches, fixes, and standard configuration X Incident resolution associated to application configuration changes X Manage contract and licensing for MS SQL or MySQL software X Perform off-line scheduled database backups X Assist customers upon request to perform MS SQL or MySQL related tasks X Monitor free disk space and alert customer when disk space is below threshold levels determined by the customer X Maintain database and log backups X Create Database Administrator (DBA) user account(s) X Monitor and tune MS SQL or MySQL software X Review and recommend optional configurations that may enhance capacity and performance requirements X Perform MS SQL or MySQL version migrations and upgrades X Maintain database administrative tools X Maintain MS SQL or MySQL software/configurations X Resolve database system problems or seek vendor support for issues through authorized escalation processes X Design, develop, deploy, and test the database and maintain its interaction with application(s) X
Define database availability requirements X
Document database design and application architecture X
Respond to threshold limit notifications provided by CDT staff with mitigating action X
Maintain application and database statistics X
Test new maintenance and software releases at user and application levels X
Pay for additional charges for CDT intervention, troubleshooting and correction of unauthorized changes if incurred X
Create and maintain database objects X
Load database data via access provided by CDT X
Application design, development, testing and migration adhering to supported software versions X
Application code modifications X
Provide scripts for custom MS SQL or MySQL configurations required by the application X
Maintain application development tools running on attached client(s) X
Ongoing monitoring of database growth in relation to disk space X
Identity database application related problems or database system problems and report them X
Notify CDT of application maintenance activities that cause an interruption of service X
CDT and the customer will work together to resolve any database application-level problems X X
CDT will assist with data migrations within CDT environments X X
- Customers are provided database owner (DBO) access or lower to their databases depending on their requirements. Application accounts must have specific roles and/or user permissions that are the lowest needed to perform application functions. Customers must follow CDT’s password complexity requirements.
- MS SQL Server System Administration (SA) authority is restricted to CDT designated personnel. Customers may be granted temporary SA rights, post-installation, to their MS SQL Server during application installation and server refresh activities. If Customers require extended use of SA privileges, or implementations of transparent data encryption (TDE) and/or replication, an Information Security Exception Request must be submitted. Please follow the procedure outlined in Procedure 3502 – Information Security Exception Request and adhere to both the Standard 3132 – Midrange Database Security and Standard 3138 – System Administrator Standard.
- A customer with granted SA rights must adhere to the following use restrictions. Failure to comply could result in access revocation.
- Changing MS SQL configurations, only CDT staff are permitted to make changes.
- Changing MS CDT scheduled jobs, only CDT staff are permitted to make changes.
- Creating SQL Agent jobs, only CDT staff may create these jobs.
- Creating user accounts must be performed by or coordinated, prior to creation, with CDT staff.
- Creating databases must be performed by or coordinated, prior to creation, with CDT staff.
- Changing the MS SQL Server Service Account is not permitted, this account is owned by CDT staff.
- Changing the MS SQL System Administrator Account is not permitted, the account is owned by CDT staff.
- Installing MS SQL Server and Components, only CDT staff are permitted to perform these installations.
CDT technical support change proposal/requests follow the established CDT Change Management process. CDT performs internal maintenance tasks during their Saturday maintenance window.
- Customer changes require 2-week prior notification. Shorter periods may not always be accommodated.
- Security-related changes adhere to the CDT Security Patching and Monitoring Standard.
- CDT is available to advise and assist customers in formulating IT designs that will meet their business needs.
- Customers should contact their Account Lead to engage architectural/engineering and design consulting services. Additional charges may be incurred.
- Configuration changes made outside the scope of the service request which requires intervention, correction, or troubleshooting by CDT staff may incur additional charges.
- Technology products must be within vendor supported versions to sustain availability and integrity. CDT tracks end-of-support and will inform Customers of the upgrade plan through CDT Account Leads.
The rate schedule represents standard CDT services. If a Customer requires technology solutions that are not part of the standard, CDT will review the Customer’s request and provide customized pricing as necessary.
Service Description Service Identifier Product Name Unit of Measurement Rate Service Code Notes
Database License Tier 1-Database Support Database Support Per License Pass-through + 2.71% CDT Processing Fee D101 - Tier 1 Database Plus the CDT Processing Fee of 2.71%
Tier 1 Database Support (SQL Server and MySQL) Tier 1-Database Support Database Support Monthly/Per Instance $600.00 M620 Database Instance Installation Set-up Fee for Database Support - Tier 1 (SQL Server and MySQL) Tier 1-Database Support Database Support One-Time/Per Instance $390.00 M621 MS SQL Enterprise License Pack w/Software Assurance (Pack covers 2 cores, 4 core minimum required per server) Tier 1-Database Support Database Support Monthly/Per Pack $450.00 M636 MS SQL Standard License Pack w/Software Assurance (Pack covers 2 cores, 4 core minimum required per server) Tier 1-Database Support Database Support Monthly/Per Pack $117.00 M637 MS SQL Enterprise Software Assurance (Covers 2 cores, 4 core minimum required per server) Tier 1-Database Support Database Support Monthly/Per Pack $219.00 M638 MS SQL Standard Software Assurance (Covers 2 cores, 4 core minimum required per server) Tier 1-Database Support Database Support Monthly/Per Pack $57.00 M639
Shared SQL Server Databases
Service Description Service Identifier Product Name Unit of Measurement Rate Service Code Notes
Shared SQL Server Database - (Up to 1GB Database capacity) Shared SQL Server Databases Monthly/Per Database $250.00 M301 Shared SQL Server Database Set-up Fee Shared SQL Server Databases One-Time/Per Database $115.00 M304
Subscriptions to this service are available.
To submit a Case/Request for a new database or database environment, please go to the Enterprise Services Delivery page.
Service Request Name Link
SQL and MySQL Services
Request to add/remove SQL or MySQL software instance on an existing server.
Order the Addition or Removal of SQL or MySQL Software Instance
Non-Billable database maintenance activities for various products including ADABAS, DB2, IDMS, MySQL, Oracle and SQL.
Order Database Maintenance
Extended Software Version Support
This request is used to document the agreement between a customer and CDT to extend software usage, for products unsupported by CDT, for a specified time and cost.
Order Extended Software Version Support
SQL System Administration (SA) Rights
Used to request SQL SA rights and, optionally, Windows administrative credentials on a server managed by CDT.
Order SQL System Administration (SA) Rights