z System Platform Hosting
The California Department of Technology (CDT) provides customers with the z System (z/OS and Enterprise Linux) hosting platform that comprise of the hardware and operating system that run those systems, including network services and storage systems used by those platforms. This includes the installation, configuration and support of system and application enabling software components that reside on the z System platform. High availability and Disaster Recovery solutions are also available.
The z Enterprise platform which includes Linux is designed to meet business requirements for applications that:
- need to be available 24x7;
- demands a high-level of security and encryption;
- requires disaster recovery;
- entails a large volume of stored data; and
- demands rapid response time for transaction or analytical processing.
This offering is classified as a Current Service.
- No need to purchase servers, system software, storage or network equipment
- No IT staff required for hardware or software system administration
- Help Desk Support 24/7
- A dedicated support team of experienced, certified professionals with specific knowledge of the z System platform and it’s capabilities and offerings
- Customers focus on supporting their application code, not the hardware or software
- Build and support the hardware and software components needed to create a stable, secure, fault-tolerant and scalable infrastructure
- Consultation to help identify and develop an optimal solution to meet the client’s business and IT goals and requirements
- z/OS V2.1
Connection to SAN
- Eight (4 or 8) GB (Gigabyte) FICON channel connections.
- Redundant 1000 Mbps network connection
- One IP address
CDT offers a number of database management system (DBMS) technologies.
CDT provides a number of middleware technologies.
- IBM WebSphere Application Server (WAS)
- IBM Websphere MQ
- IBM Tivoli Access Manager Policy Server
- IBM Tivoli Access Manager Authorization Server
- CDT offers multiple printing options.
- Printing on a printed page, on impact printers or laser printers
- Printing on a printed form
Go-Online provides Customers an efficient and secure alternative to view and manage output via a web browser on their desktop, mobile devices, etc. Customers can immediately access documents/reports stored in their repository on the z System utilizing Output Management Web Viewer (OMWV), CA-View and CA-Deliver. This provides an economical and “green” alternative to printed reports.
For additional information, FAQs and training demonstrations visit the Go-Online training webpage.
CDT offers secure storage for z/OS platform data as a basic component of the standard Application Hosting service. The z/OS platform storage environment features:
- Reliable, high-speed disk storage using RAID technology.
- Incremental backups of datasets in the general storage pools.
- Auto migration management of data based on client criteria.
- Expiration management of data based on client criteria.
- Restoration of corrupted or deleted data for up to 90 days.
- Virtual Tape for high-speed access at a lower cost.
- Auto backup to second copy at no additional cost.
- Data at Rest Encryption.
- Disaster Recovery Services.
- Assistance with data definition, access, and deletion.
Incremental backups are performed regularly on all data that resides in data center managed pools, i.e. all volumes except dedicated volumes. (Dedicated volumes are assigned and billed to a customer who is responsible for all storage management activities for that volume.) All backups are written to high capacity tapes.
Incremental Backups are performed by a software product called Hierarchical Storage Manager (HSM), and are done at the dataset level. These are logical backups of the datasets that are newly created or have changed since they were last backed up. All SMS datasets in the general pools are backed up by HSM.
Frequency – Datasets are backed up late evening/early morning after they are created or modified, every single day of the week on Gold Camp.
Retention – The seven latest versions of a dataset are retained for a maximum of 30 days. If a dataset is deleted, the last backup copy is retained for 90 days.
Off-site Storage – All backups are replicated off-site using Virtual Tape Server (VTS) for the defined retention period.
Exceptions – Datasets that are in use at the time of the backups are skipped and NOT backed up.
Restore – Customers can do their own restores via the HRECOVER panel. If additional help is needed, customers can initiate an incident ticket using the CDT Remedy tool, or contact the Service Desk at (916) 464-4311.
- More frequent backups, if required, of critical data stored on DASD volumes.
- Creating long-term (retention period) backups, if needed, of data stored on DASD volumes.
- All backups of data stored on customer dedicated volumes.
- Datasets that are in use during the CDT backup window.
- Database files.
Full Volume Backups
Full Volume Backups are performed by a software product called FDR. All system volumes are backed up on a weekly basis and kept for 30 days.
The Service Continuity Mainframe Services (SCMS) offering establishes capability that enables CDT to provide Disaster Recovery for the z System platform and z System data for Customers’ whose systems are hosted at one of the two CDT campuses (Rancho Cordova & Vacaville).
- z System Direct Access Storage Device (DASD) will replicate at the alternate campus
- Virtual Tape System (VTS) will provide access to tape data at the alternate campus
- z System Capacity On-Demand available at each campus to recover all DR customers at the alternate campus (in the event of a true disaster)
- 24 Hour Recovery Time Objective (RTO)
- 5 Minute Recovery Point Objective (RPO) for DASD
- Exercise schedule flexibility
- Service Desk 24×7 availability during DR exercises
For more information regarding mainframe disaster recovery, refer to the z System Disaster Recovery Guideline (PDF).
Subscriptions to this service are available and can be referenced in the CDT Rate Schedule.
|Service Code||Service Description||Unit of Measurement||Rate||Group||Comment(s)|
|C101||CPU Batch Processing||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C102||CPU Time Sharing Option (TSO)||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C103||CPU Started Task (STC)||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C104||CPU Open Edition/Multiple Virtual System - Unix System Services (OE/MVS)||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C105||CPU Customer Information Control System Transaction Server (CICS)||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C106||CPU Adaptable DAta BAse System (ADABAS)||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C107||CPU Integrated Database Management System (IDMS)||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C108||CPU DB2||Hour||$579.00||Mainframe Processing|
|C112||CPU System z Integrated Information Processor (zIIP)||Hour||$58.00||Mainframe Processing|
|P103||Continuous Forms||Page||$0.36||Print Services|
|P104||Cut Sheet - Xerox||Page||$0.42||Print Services|
|R201||SCMS Disaster Recovery (Enterprise Linux and z/OS Mainframe)||Per Customer, Per Platform/Month||$5,000.00||Disaster Recovery|
|S103||Disk Storage - ADABAS||GB/Month||$5.20||Mainframe Storage|
|S107||Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) Level 2 Data Storage Technique||GB/Month||$3.00||Mainframe Storage|
|S205||Tape Mount||Per Mount||$1.00||Mainframe Storage|
|S213||Virtual Tape Storage||GB/Month||$0.55||Mainframe Storage|
|X104||Unscheduled/Weekend Courier Service||Per Delivery||$70.00||Miscellaneous Rates|
|X105||Scheduled Weekday Courier Service||Per Delivery||$59.30||Miscellaneous Rates|
- The Customer develops their capacity requirements.
- The Customer creates an architectural diagram.
- The Customer creates and submits a Service Request with requirements and diagram attached.
- The Customer requests their Account Lead to schedule a technical overview meeting to review the Customer’s business needs/requirements and specifications.
- CDT develops a cost estimate.
- CDT provisions the Application Hosting environment including hardware, software, and network based on the architectural diagram.
- The environment is turned over to the Customer.