Tenant Managed Services (TMS)
Tenant Managed Services (TMS) is the Statewide Data Center’s colocation service offering. TMS allows customers the ability to choose which features are needed to best meet specific departmental needs, while reducing statewide data center floor space and greenhouse emissions.
Two models of co-location service are offered:
TMS Basic (formerly known as COEMS) provides secure space in a state-operated, Tier III equivalent data center, while still allowing customers to maintain full control over their computing environment. Tenants also provide and manage their own security components (e.g. Firewall, IPS, etc).
TMS Premium (formerly known as FDC) offers an additional layer of service. In addition to providing secure space, it also provides a managed local area network (LAN) and storage area network (SAN). The Managed LAN includes Firewall and IPS; tenants manage their security context.
TMS Service Model Comparison
FEATURE/COMPONENT BASIC PREMIUM
Locking Cabinet x x
Redundant 30 amp power whips x x
Service Desk and Operations Center x x
Cabinet Space x x
Cooling x x
Managed Firewalls and Intrusion Protection System (hardware, hardware maintenance, and support) x
Tenant environment cable connectivity x
Managed LAN x
Managed SAN fabric x
Premium and Basic
|Rancho Cordova||24”W x 48”D x 78”H 30”W x 48”D x 78”H *||30”W x 42”D x 78”H|
|Vacaville||30”W x 42”D x 78”H||N/A|
* Subject to availability Tenant server cabinet requirements that exceed the Standard Cabinet specifications will be addressed on a case-by-case basis and may incur additional costs. Charges will be based on the current CDT Rate Schedule.
- The Basic Model comes with 42 (RU) of available space while the Premium Model comes with 36 (RU) of available space.
- Included in the cabinets are two – 30 amp intelligent power strips with a combination of C13 & C19 power receptacles.
- Climate controlled environment
- Dual Intelligent Power Strips
- Please ensure all equipment power supplies support 208 volt AC and have power cords with C13 or C19 plugs to maximize the power efficiency of your equipment and comply with our data center design standard.
Only Available in Premium
Managed LAN Service is offered to TMS Premium Customers
- Includes redundant Ethernet connections, up to 10 GB
Managed SAN Service is offered to TMS Premium Customers
- Up to 18 Server Connections
Drop in office space (limited)
The TMS Security Standard discusses the requirements that must be adhered to for both physical facility access and data protection. The Data Classification Standard should be followed to ensure that the State Administrative Manual (SAM) section 5305.5 and the Statewide Information Management Manual (SIMM) section 5305-A are adhered to.
The table below is intended to provide clarity around roles and responsibilities between CDT and Tenants for each TMS Model.
Role Responsibility Basic Premium
Facilities Physical Site Access & Security CDT CDT
Computer Room Space CDT CDT
Electrical CDT CDT
HVAC CDT CDT
Equipment Delivery Loading Dock Tenant/CDT Tenant/CDT
Drop-in Space for Customers N/A CDT
Computing Software (Servers) OS Tenant Tenant
OS Patching Tenant Tenant
Application Tenant Tenant
Application Layer Security Tenant Tenant
Application Maintenance Tenant Tenant
Application Support Tenant Tenant
Cabinets CDT CDT
Storage Device(s) Tenant Tenant
Connectivity to Servers Tenant CDT
Disk Space Management Tenant Tenant
Backup and Recovery Tenant Tenant
Capacity Monitoring Tenant Tenant
Maintenance Contracts Tenant Tenant
Network Infrastructure Router Installation and Configuration Tenant CDT
Firewall & IPS Hardware Tenant CDT
Firewall Context Configuration & Management Tenant Tenant
Switch Installation & Configuration Tenant CDT
Cabling Installation & Configuration Tenant/CDT Tenant/CDT
IT Security Management Configure System Security Tools Tenant Tenant
Monitor System Security Tenant Tenant
Ensure System Security Tenant Tenant
Ensure System Security Response Tenant Tenant
Manage System Authentication Tenant Tenant
Physical Security CDT CDT
Resource Administration Monitor Resource Performance Tenant Tenant
Fix Resource Performance Tenant Tenant
Monitor Resource Capacity Tenant Tenant
Add Resource Capacity Tenant Tenant
Administration Hardware Procurement Tenant Tenant
System Software Procurement Tenant Tenant
Maintenance Contract Management Tenant Tenant
- What is the difference between Tenant Managed Services (TMS) Basic and Premium Models?
- Basic services include:
- Secure space in a Tier III data center
- Full control of computing environment
- Customer provided and managed security components
- Premium services include:
- All basic services
- Security tools/components are provided by CDT
- Customers manage security tools/components
- Managed local area network (LAN)
- Managed storage area network (SAN)
- What are the hardware and cabinet requirements?
- Customer hardware must be assessed prior to installation by CDT.
- Considerations such as excessive power requirements, and cooling needs, are reviewed during the assessment process.
- Hardware must physically fit/mount into the CDT provided TMS Cabinets.
- Customers may request to provide their own cabinets and will be considered on a case by case basis.
- After installation, CDT will provide a brief inspection to ensure that equipment is properly racked, cables are bundled, and power strips are plugged in redundantly.
- How do customers access their TMS enviornment?
- TMS customers have physical access to their cabinets 24×7.
- The customer authorizes cabinet access by completing a Tenant Contact List.
- Customers must submit a TMS Raised Floor Activity Request through Service Now, at least 24 hours prior to visiting the Rancho Cordova site.
- If a customer is unable to submit a request 24 hours in advance, an Incident can be opened for the visit by calling the Service Desk at (916) 464-4311.
- Visitors not listed on the Tenant Contact List will require approval by a Department Authorizer prior to being granted access to the Computer Room.
- Customers must submit a request through Service Now to visit the Vacaville site.
- Customers visiting the Vacaville site must be escorted by a CDT employee.
- Off-hour visits to the Vacaville site may incur additional fees to compensate for overtime costs.
- CDT authorized staff have access for emergency and maintenance purposes.
- What assistance will CDT provide in moving equipment?
- CDT staff will coordinate access through the facility and loading dock.
- Are TMS customers responsible for providing movers?
- The customer is responsible for moving and installing/racking their equipment into the TMS Basic or Premium environment.
- The customer is responsible for physically moving their equipment from CDT loading dock to the final destination within the TMS raised floor or hire a vendor to provide moving services.
- CDT has some moving equipment available to the customer with advance notice. All packing materials, cardboard, styrofoam, and pallets must be removed by the customer.
- Who is responsible for server software installation?
- The customer.
- What are the advantages of 208 voltage power cords?
- 208 volt power cords draw less current than the standard 110 volt power cord.
- Less current mean less heat; therefore, your device will run cooler and will help minimize the risk of equipment failure.
- The lower power consumption also helps contribute to the overall power efficiency of the data center.
- Can customer deliveries be made to the Rancho Cordova Site?
- Yes, the customer is responsible for all deliveries and must be present (or a designee) to sign for and accept all shipments.
- All delivery attempts made to the Rancho Cordova site without a representative present will be refused and sent back with the shipper at the customer’s expense.
- Delivery notifications must be submitted through Service Now.
- CDT is unable to sign for or store customer-owned packages or assets.
- How do customers connect to their TMS Basic environment?
- Option 1: Customers can order their own circuits via Calnet III, from their site to the CDT data center. CDT will extend the circuit from the MPOE to the TMS rack, for a one-time fee.
- Option 2: Customers can request bandwidth (aka a ‘handoff’) to the Internet and other CDT resources to their TMS rack at the following speeds:
o 10 Mbps
o 1 Gbps
o 50 Mbps
o 5 Gbps
o 100 Mbps
o 10 Gbps
- Each connection will incur both a one-time and monthly fee, per the CDT Rate Schedule.
- Will TMS Premium customers have their own set of IP Addresses?
- Customers can use an allocation of their own network IP addressing, use some allocation from the TMS-P globally routable allocation, or get an allocation from CDT.
- Customers can use either globally routable or private IP addressing in their environment.
- TMS-P was designed in such a way that there is no issue with Customers overlapping IP address space.
- What appliances will be acceptable to deploy within TMS Premium?
- Computing hardware is the ideal candidate for TMS-P cabinets.
- All appliances must be rack mountable into the CDT provided server cabinets; however all proposed devices will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- What rights do TMS Premium customers have to their firewall in the virtual security context?
- Customers have full manageability of their firewall security context.
- Customers control all rule sets, logging, and authentication to their firewall security context.
- How many VLANs are allowed per TMS Premium server cabinet?
- Up to 10 VLANs.
- Does CDT provide an Network Time Protocol (NTP) service in TMS Premium?
- Is there a contact at CDT for TMS Support?
- Support and questions can be submitted at CIOTMSSupportGroup@state.ca.gov.
- What are the costs of the TMS service offering?
- Rates vary based on subscribed services. Rate information can be found at https://cdt.ca.gov/services/tms/.
The below tables can be sorted by Service Code, Service Description, Unit of Measurement, Rate and Group. TMS Basic and Premium
Service Code Service Description Unit of Measurement Rate Notes
F114 Basic Tenant Managed Services Cabinet Rancho Cordova Cabinet/Month $1,432.00 F115 Basic Tenant Managed Services Cabinet Vacaville Cabinet/Month $1,990.00 F116 Power Exceeding 3.5 kW (Basic Cabinet) Whip/Month $98.00 F301 Premium Tenant Managed Services Cabinet Rancho Cordova Cabinet/Month $1,432.00 F305 Power Exceeding 3.5 kW (Premium Cabinet) Whip/Month $98.00 X1xx Expedite Fee Per Request/One-Time $515.00 Service Code Service Description Unit of Measurement Rate Notes
F302 Tenant Managed Services Managed LAN Cabinet/Month $1,937.00 F303 Tenant Managed Services SAN Fabric Cabinet/Month $711.00 F312 Tenant Managed Services Additional 10 GIG Connection Connection/Month $204.00 Service Code Service Description Unit of Measurement Rate Notes
N605 Expedite Fee One-Time/Request $515.00 N607 TMS/Foreign Cable Install One-Time/Install $350.00 N608 Site to Site VPN One-Time/Install $650.00 N619 CGEN Connection Bandwidth Change – Foreign/TMS-B One-Time/Change $350.00 N732 56KB Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $123.00 N733 T1 Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $205.00 N734 DS3 Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $328.00 N735 10 Mbps Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $451.00 N736 100 Mbps Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $1,148.00 N747 1000 Mbps Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $2,050.00 N775 50 Mbps Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $656.00 N776 5G Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $2,870.00 N777 10G Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $3,895.00 N779 500 Mbps Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $1,476.00 N784 750 Mbps Foreign/TMS Basic Connectivity Per Connection $1,804.00 Service Code Service Description Unit of Measurement Rate Notes
K617 STaaS/Foreign Cable Install - TMS Basic One-Time/Install $350.00 K618 STaaS/Foreign Cable Install - TMS Premium One-Time/Install $350.00 N615 Equipment Install One-Time/Install $1,500.00 N782 5 Gbps DC-DC Fiber Connection Per Connection $2,400.00 N783 Shared/Dedicated 10 Gbps DC-DC Fiber Connection Per Connection $3,200.00 N785 100 Mbps DC-DC Fiber Connection Per Connection $1,000.00 N787 2 Gbps DC-DC Fiber Connection Per Connection $2,000.00
- The Customer contacts their Account Lead regarding setting up Tenant Managed Service (TMS).
- The Customer fills out the Equipment Survey (Basic) or (Premium).
- The Customer submits a Case/Request to CDT for an assessment and cost proposal.
- The Equipment Survey Form must be attached.
- The TMS Support Group processes and reviews the Case/Request.
- The TMS Support Group attaches a cost estimate to the Customer’s Case/Request.
- The Customer submits a second Case/Request to establish a commitment to the service.
Description Service Request Link
Request an Add, Change, Delete Basic or Premium or Premium Billable TMS (e.g. cabinets, power and connectivity, etc.) Order Now
Request access to the Rancho Cordova facility. Request Rancho Cordova Access
Request access to the Vacaville facility. Request Vacaville Access
Request installation or removal of hardware at the Rancho Cordova OR Vacaville facility.
Note: 10-days’ notice, as well as an updated Tenant Equipment Survey and Cable Schema (for TMS-P) must be given to CDT prior to installation of new equipment.
Request Non-Billable Support
* Add VLAN (Premium only)
* Update Cable Schema (Premium only)
* Activate ports (Premium only)
* Submit a Storage zoning request (Premium only)
* Power Consumption Report (Basic or Premium)
* Update Tenant Contact List (Basic or Premium)
Request Non-Billable Support
Request Billable Support
* Power upgrades
* Add additional cabinets
* Circuit extensions
* Network Connectivity Requests (other than DC to DC fiber connections)
* Expedite Fee
Request Billable Support
To request a copy of the Tenant Guide, TMS Fact Sheet, or TMS Access Procedure: Request Documentation