Technology Letter 23-02July 2023
Business Telecommunications Systems and Services Policy
Government Code Sections 11531 – 11548
Management Memo (MM) 14-08 State Telecommunications Vision, Strategy and Policy
The California Department of Technology’s (CDT), Office of Technology Service (OTech) continues its lead role over state business telecommunications strategy and policy as authorized in California Government Code sections 11531-11548.
Management Memo Memo (MM) 14-08 State Telecommunications Vision, Strategy and Policy was issued by the CDT to convey the State’s business telecommunications vision and requirements. The OTech must retire MM 14-08 and transition the policy into the State Administrative Manual (SAM). The new SAM chapters update the state’s vision, strategy, and policy for procuring and implementing business telecommunications systems and services. The SAM chapter updates also detail how OTech utilizes the California Network and Telecommunications (CALNET) Program to administer the policy and authorizes its lead role over all business telecommunications systems and services. It supersedes previous information outlined in MM 14-08.
The policy transition promotes reasonable steps to ensure adherence to established business telecommunications systems and services policy.
The purpose of this Technology Letter (TL) is to announce:
- The retirement of Management Memo (MM) 14-08 State Telecommunications Vision, Strategy and Policy and its transition into the State Administrative Manual (SAM) business telecommunications chapters.
- SAM 4600 chapter series shall be dedicated to CDT’s Business Telecommunications Systems and Services policy:
- 4600 – Introduces how the CALNET Program provides state and local government entities Business Telecommunications Systems and Services and provides communications networks managed through the CALNET contracts.
- 4601 – New policy that requires non-exempt state entities to obtain approval before procuring any service that bundles, includes, or contains a telecommunications component.
- 4602 – Outlines policy regarding public entity status and service classification.
- 4603 – Requires non-exempt state entities to submit a General Telecommunications Delegation request prior to engaging in any telecommunications and network efforts not provided under the CALNET contracts.
- 4604 – Requires non-exempt state entities to request a CALNET Contract Services Delegation for telecommunications services identified as “delegation required” in the CALNET service catalogs.
- 4605 – Allows non-exempt state entities to purchase required services outside the CALNET contracts if there is a compelling business reason to use alternative providers.
- 4606 – Provides clarifying information for non-CALNET services.
Direct questions regarding this Technology Letter to the CDT, Statewide Information Technology (IT) Policy Office at ITpolicy@state.ca.gov.
Liana Bailey-Crimmins, Director
California Department of Technology