Platform Hosting - Database - MySQL
The California Department of Technology (CDT) provides services on a number of database management system (DBMS) technologies for various hardware and operating system platforms. CDT offers MySQL on leased equipment within our Tier III data centers.
MySQL is available as an add-on component to Customers that subscribe to the Windows Platform Hosting service.
- On-demand scalability
- High performance
- Complete workflow control
- Flexibility of Open Source
- Data Security
- CDT staff performs installation, patching and product maintenance according to standard procedures and configurations.
- CDT provides MySQL database administration on leased equipment within the Platform Hosting Service.
- CDT supports version(s) of MySQL in accordance with the CDT Software Version Support Policy.
- MySQL is offered on the Windows platform.
- CDT performs database backups on the following schedule:
Full Backup Daily
Transaction log backup Daily
Backup retention 28 days
- The core business hours for MySQL technical support are Monday through Friday 0800 – 1700. State holidays and mandated schedule alterations are observed and may impact staff availability.
- MySQL maintenance activities utilize the platform maintenance schedules; however, changes may be scheduled.
Customers will be provided database owner (DBO) access or lower to their databases depending on their requirements. Application accounts must have specific roles and/or user permissions that are the lowest needed to perform application functions. Customers must follow CDT’s password complexity requirements. MySQL System Administration (root) Authority is restricted to CDT designated personnel. Customers may be granted temporary System Administration rights, post-installation, to their MySQL Server during application installation and server refresh activities. If Customers require extended use of System Administration rights an Information Security Exception Request must be submitted. Please follow the procedure outlined in Procedure 3502 – Information Security Exception Request and adhere to both the Standard 3132 – Midrange Database Security and Standard 3138 – System Administrator Standard. Configuration changes made outside the scope of the service request requiring intervention, correction, or troubleshooting by CDT staff may incur additional charges. A customer with granted System Administration (root) rights must adhere to the following use restrictions. Failure to comply could result in access revocation.
- Changing MySQL configurations, only CDT staff are permitted to make changes
- Changing MySQL CDT scheduled jobs, only CDT staff are permitted to make changes
- Creating user accounts must be performed by or coordinated, prior to creation, with CDT staff
- Creating databases must be performed by or coordinated, prior to creation, with CDT staff
- Changing the MySQL Server Service Account is not permitted; this account is owned by CDT staff
- Changing the MySQL System Administrator Account is not permitted; the account is owned by CDT staff
CDT is available to advise and assist customers in formulating IT designs that will leverage available service offerings. Customers should contact their Account Lead to engage architectural/engineering and design consulting services. Additional charges may be incurred. Options for MySQL include:
- Database Engine Services
- Advanced Security
- MySQL Workbench
Installation, upgrades, patches, fixes, and standard configuration CDT
Incident resolution associated to application configuration changes CDT
Manage contract and licensing for MS SQL or MySQL software CDT
Perform off-line scheduled database backups CDT
Assist customers upon request to perform MS SQL or MySQL related tasks CDT
Monitor free disk space and alert customer when disk space is below threshold levels determined by the customer CDT
Maintain database and log backups CDT
Create Database Administrator (DBA) user account(s) CDT
Monitor and tune MS SQL or MySQL software CDT
Review and recommend optional configurations that may enhance capacity and performance requirements CDT
Perform MS SQL or MySQL version migrations and upgrades CDT
Maintain database administrative tools CDT
Maintain MS SQL or MySQL software/configurations CDT
Resolve database system problems or seek vendor support for issues through authorized escalation processes CDT
Design, develop, deploy, and test the database and maintain its interaction with application(s) Customer
Define database availability requirements Customer
Document database design and application architecture Customer
Respond to threshold limit notifications provided by CDT staff with mitigating action Customer
Maintain application and database statistics Customer
Test new maintenance and software releases at user and application levels Customer
Pay for additional charges for CDT intervention, troubleshooting and correction of unauthorized changes if incurred Customer
Create and maintain database objects Customer
Load database data via access provided by CDT Customer
Application design, development, testing and migration adhering to supported software versions Customer
Application code modifications Customer
Provide scripts for custom MS SQL or MySQL configurations required by the application Customer
Maintain application development tools running on attached client(s) Customer
Ongoing monitoring of database growth in relation to disk space Customer
Identity database application related problems or database system problems and report them Customer
Notify CDT of application maintenance activities that cause an interruption of service Customer
CDT and the customer will work together to resolve any database application-level problems Shared
CDT will assist with data migrations within CDT environments Shared
- CDT provides system-level administration, data migration assistance, data and log file backups, database consistency checks, 24/7 system monitoring, DBMS patching and version upgrades, and system security.
- CDT manages the contract and licensing for DBMS software and serves as the liaison between the Customer and Oracle (the vendor) for technical system-level DBMS issues.
- CDT is available to advise and assist customers in formulating IT designs that leverage available service offerings. CDT provides architectural/engineering and design consulting services.
- Can I have RDP access to the server?
- You must submit a Case/Request to get RDP access to the server.
- Can I have sysadmin (root) privileges in MySQL?
- You have to submit a Case/Request to get root privileges and this must be approved by our Security team. Please reference the Security tab.
- What is the maintenance window for MySQL servers?
- Saturdays from 7 am to 12 pm.
Tier 1 Database Support
Service Description Service Identifier Product Name Unit of Measurement Rate Service Code Notes
Database License Tier 1 - Database Support Database Support Per License Pass-through + 2.71% CDT
D101 - Tier 1 Database Tier 1 Database Support (SQL Server and MySQL) Tier 1 - Database Support Database Support Monthly/Per Instance $600 M620 Database Instance Installation Set-up Fee for Database Support - Tier 1 (SQL Server and MySQL) Tier 1 - Database Support Database Support One-Time/Per Instance $390 M621
To submit a service request for a new database or database environment, please go to the Enterprise Services Delivery page.
SQL and MySQL Services Request to Add/Remove SQL or MySQL Software Instance on an Existing Server. Request Add/Remove MySQL Software Instance Now
Database Support Non-Billable Database maintenance activities for various products including ADABAS, DB2, IDMS, MySQL, Oracle and SQL. Request Database Maintenance Now
SQL System Admin (SA) Rights Used to request SQL SA rights and, optionally, Windows administrative credentials on a server managed by CDT. Request System Admin Rights Now