Platform Hosting - z/OS
99.999% availability – that’s only 5.26 minutes downtime a year!
CDT’s z Systems (z/OS and zLinux) hosting platforms are comprised of the hardware, operating systems, network services, and storage. Our support includes the installation, configuration, and support of system and application enabling software components that reside on the z Systems platform. High availability and disaster recovery solutions are also available.
The z Systems platform (z/OS and zLinux) is designed to meet business requirements for applications that:
- Need 24/7 availability
- Demand a high-level of security and encryption
- Requires disaster recovery
- Entail a large volume of stored data
- Demand rapid response time for transaction or analytical processing
The z Systems platform consists of:
- 10 GB network connections
- No single point of failure
- Parallel Sysplex design for redundancy and reliability
- No need to purchase or manage servers, system software, storage or network equipment
- Customers focus on supporting their application product, not the hardware or operating system
- 24/7 Service Desk support
- A dedicated support team of experienced, certified professionals with specific knowledge of the z Systems platform, its capabilities and offerings
- Hardware and software components are built to create a stable, secure, fault-tolerant and scalable infrastructure
- Consultation available to identify the optimal solution that will meet business and IT requirements
We provide administration on equipment within the z Systems Platform Hosting service. This includes installation, patching, and product maintenance. We perform these tasks according to standard procedures and configurations. We manage the software contract and licensing, and serve as the liaison between the Customer and technology vendors for technical system-level issues. The following components are included in the service offering:
Dedicated/Knowledgeable Technical Support Staff
A dedicated support team of experienced, certified professionals with specific knowledge of the z Systems platform, its capabilities, and offerings are responsible for the oversight and operation of the platform to ensure that services meet the stated service levels.
- FICON channel connections to DASD
- Redundant 10 GB network connections
- One Virtual Internet Protocol Address (VIPA) – Virtual IP address associated with a software managed stack
Disaster Recovery (DR)
The Service Continuity Mainframe Services (SCMS) offering establishes capability that enables DR for Customer systems and data on the z Systems platform hosted at one of the two CDT campuses (Rancho Cordova & Vacaville). Please see the Data Backup & Disaster Recovery tab for further details.
Language Description URL Category
Enterprise COBOL Common Business Orientated Language FORTRAN Formula Translation Assembler Functionally Efficient Low-Level Programming Language Java High-Level Object-Oriented Programming Language C/C++ High-Level Object-Oriented Programming Language SAS Statistical Analysis Software SAS Python Web and Internet Development, Database Access, Desktop GUIs, Scientific & Numeric Python Open Source
Perl Process and Experiment Automation Realtime Language. Web and Internet Development, Database Access, GUI Development, Event-Driven Programming Perl Open Source
PHP PHP Hypertext Preprocessor. Web development software compatible with other programming languages (C++ or Python) PHP Open Source
TCL Tool Command Language TCL Open Source
Tools and Products
Category Tool Description
Application Development/Testing Fault Analyzer Helps to identify, analyze, and fix the problems associated with failing applications.
Application Development/Testing Workload Simulator Used to determine system performance and response time, evaluate network design, perform functional testing, and to automate regression testing.
Application Development/Testing Application Performance Monitoring and management of performance and availability of software applications. Detects and diagnoses complex application performance problems.
Application Development/Testing HourGlass Clock simulator for testing mainframe applications
Application Development/Testing Debug Used to examine, monitor and control the execution of C, C+ and Cobol programs.
Identity Resolution IIR (SSA NAME3) Identity searching and matching.
Reporting Focus Data access and analysis tool that includes report and chart display and presentation features.
Reporting Vision A COBOL-like language with interfaces to DB2 databases and VSAM that includes pre-canned forms, memos, letters and labels.
Report Management CA View (SAR) Comprehensive report-management viewing, archival and print distribution system covering every aspect of report life cycle.
Report Management Go-Online Client Web Viewer for reports stored on SAR report management system.
Analytics SAS Statistical Analysis Software, is a suite of tools for advanced analytics, business intelligence, data management and predictive analytics.
Data Management File Manager Toolset for working with mainframe datasets and DB2 and CICS data.
Data Management Syncsort High-performance sort, merge, copy, analysis, and reporting product.
Reporting EasyTrieve Create and publish comprehensive reports using English-like commands.
JCL Syntax ProJCL JCL Syntax Checker
Module Control Panvalet A centralized library management tool for creating, storing, and maintaining program source data.
Workload Management ESP Job and event scheduling
GUI-based tools for z Systems IBM Explorer File Manager, Debug Tool, Fault Analyzer, Workload Simulator, Application Performance Analyzer.
Security RACF Resource Access Control Facility.
We review workload growth monthly to determine capacity needs and annually increase the capacity of CPU/DASD/VTS and network components to keep pace with increases in workload demand.
- Conduct system level performance tuning as necessary.
- Provide performance reporting regarding processor utilization, memory consumption, and disk utilization.
- Monitor system throughput, usage, and capacity.
Support of z Systems Application, Database, and Software
We have implemented industry best practices in support of the z Systems platform to ensure that the operating system and third-party software are at vendor supported versions. The application, database and software support includes, but is not limited to, installation, testing, maintenance, software licenses (keys), user exits, local mods, procurement, and migration to production.
Support of z Systems Infrastructure OS and Hardware
We have developed industry best practices in support of the z Systems platform to ensure that any hardware components (CPU, DASD, VTS, network components, etc.) are maintained via warranty, or are on an annual hardware refresh cycle. The OS and hardware support includes, but is not limited to the installation, testing, maintenance, software licenses (keys), user exits, local mods, procurement, and migration to production.
We offer a number of database management system (DBMS) technologies.
- Db2 – We support IBM’s relational database management system – Db2 – and its associated products. Db2 Data Sharing Groups are available and IBM’s Db2 Analytics Accelerator (IDAA). IDAA hardware and software allows for data analytics, data reporting and data warehouse functionality for application processes requiring these features. Access to the Db2 Tools and Utilities is currently available via 3270 emulation and will be available via web browsers in the future. The current version of Db2 includes REST services. Db2 REST services enable your web, mobile, and cloud applications to interact with Db2 data through a set of scalable RESTful Application Program Interfaces (API). These API’s are fully integrated into the Db2 distributed data facility (DDF). The APIs can create, discover, execute, and manage user-defined services in Db2.
We provide a number of middleware technologies, including:
We offer multiple printing options:
- Printing on a printed page, on impact printers or laser printers
- Printing on a printed form
Go-Online provides Customers an efficient and secure alternative to view and manage output via a web browser on a desktop, mobile devices, etc. Customers can immediately access documents/reports stored in their z System repository utilizing Output Management Web Viewer (OMWV), CA-View and CA-Deliver. This provides an economical and “green” alternative to printed reports.
For additional information, FAQs and training demonstrations visit the Go-Online training webpage.
- Stand-by Services – We are available, upon a Customer’s advance request, to provide standby support. In some cases, stand-by services may be billable to the Customer.
- Consulting Services – We provide customer training on specific technical items.
- Vendor Liaison Services – We can communicate with vendors, as requested, to ask questions on behalf of a Customer.
Incremental backups are performed regularly on all data that resides in data center managed pools, i.e. all volumes except dedicated volumes. (Dedicated volumes are assigned and billed to a customer who is responsible for all storage management activities for that volume.) All backups are written to high capacity tapes.
Incremental Backups are performed by a software product called Hierarchical Storage Manager (HSM) and are done at the dataset level. These are logical backups of the datasets that are newly created or have changed since they were last backed up. All SMS datasets in the general pools are backed up by HSM.
Frequency – Datasets are backed up late evening/early morning after they are created or modified, every day of the week at Gold Camp.
Retention – The seven (7) latest versions of a dataset are retained for a maximum of 30 days. If a dataset is deleted, the last backup copy is retained for 90 days.
Off-site Replication- All backups are replicated off-site using Virtual Tape Server (VTS) for the defined retention period.
Exceptions – Datasets in use at the time of the backups are skipped and NOT backed up.
Restore – Customers can do their own restores via the HRECOVER panel. If additional help is needed, Customers can submit an incident ticket using the CDT Service Request tool, or contact the Service Desk at (916) 464-4311.
- More frequent backups, if required, of critical data stored on DASD volumes.
- Creating long-term (retention period) backups, if needed, of data stored on DASD volumes.
- All backups of data stored on Customer dedicated volumes.
- Datasets that are in use during the CDT backup window.
- Database files.
Full Volume Backups
Full Volume Backups are performed by a software product called FDR. All system volumes are backed up on a weekly basis and kept for 30 days. The Service Continuity Mainframe Services (SCMS) offering enables us to provide Disaster Recovery for the z Systems platform and for Customers’ whose systems are hosted at one of the two CDT campuses (Rancho Cordova & Vacaville).
- z Systems Direct Access Storage Device (DASD) will replicate at the alternate campus.
- Virtual Tape System (VTS) will provide access to tape data at the alternate campus.
- z Systems Capacity On-Demand available at each campus to recover all DR customers at the alternate campus (in the event of a true disaster).
- 24 Hour Recovery Time Objective (RTO).
- 5 Minute Recovery Point Objective (RPO) for DASD.
- Exercise schedule flexibility.
- 24/7 Service Desk availability during DR exercises.
Installation, configuration & support of z/OS operating system CDT
Installation, configuration & support of z/OS hardware environments CDT
Installation, configuration & support of z/OS application enabling software CDT
Version management of hardware and software Shared
Disaster recovery solutions Shared
Software licensing (keys) CDT
Application support Customer
User exits / APIs CDT
z Systems Storage
Incremental backups of managed pools CDT
Dedicated volumes Customer
Hierarchical Storage Manager (HSM) configuration and support CDT
Backup frequency management CDT
Retention policy Shared
Data replication CDT
Virtual Tape System (VTS) management CDT
System volume backups CDT
Database file backups Customer
Data on dedicated volumes Customer
Application data retentions Customer
Service Continuity Mainframe Service (SCMS) Shared
CA Web Viewer (Go-Online) application support (view, print, index, export) Shared
CA Web Viewer technical platform support CDT
CA Web Viewer administration CDT
Electronic forms management (AFP and Xerox) Shared
z System password administration Shared
Resource Access Control Facility (RACF) reporting CDT
RACF administrator management Shared
Security audit support CDT
ISM administration Shared (DMV only)
Vanguard user support Shared
Resolve z System access incidents Shared
System/product security access CDT
Go-Online access administration Shared
Salesforce (CPRO) RACF administrator management Shared
Daily reporting of system capacity and performance CDT
Monitoring to identify batch or online excessive use CDT
Provide resource metrics for new/revised applications Shared
Vendor reporting CDT
Quarterly performance measurements CDT
Workload management CDT
CPU projections CDT
Billing (cost recovery) CDT
Customer impact to z System platform CDT
System Managed Facility (SMF) statistical reporting CDT
The rate schedule represents standard CDT services. If a Customer requires technology solutions that are not part of the standard, CDT will review the Customer’s request and provide customized pricing as necessary.
z/OS Processing – Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116
Service Description Service Identifier Product Name Unit of Measurement Rate Service Code Notes CPU Batch Processing Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $495.00 C101 CPU Time Sharing Option (TSO) Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $495.00 C102 CPU Started Task (STC) Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $495.00 C103 CPU Open Edition/Multiple Virtual System - Unix System Services (OE/MVS) Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $495.00 C104 CPU Customer Information Control System Transaction Server (CICS) Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $495.00 C105 CPU Adaptable DAta BAse System (ADABAS) Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $495.00 C106 CPU DB2 Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $495.00 C108 CPU System z Integrated Information Processor (zIIP) Normalized to IBM CPU 2064-116 zSystem Processing Per Hour $49.00 C112
Service Description Service Identifier Product Name Unit of Measurement Rate Service Code Notes Disk Storage Shared (Z/OS Platform) Mainframe Storage Monthly/Per Gb $2.95 S101 Disk Storage - ADABAS zSystem Storage Monthly/Per Gb $2.95 S103 Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) Level 2 Data Storage Technique zSystem Storage Monthly/Per Gb $1.80 S107 Virtual Tape Storage zSystem Storage Monthly/Per Gb $0.47 S213
Service Description Service Identifier Product Name Unit of Measurement Rate Service Code Notes Continuous Forms Print Services Monthly/Per Page $0.36 P103 Cut Sheet - Xerox Print Services Monthly/Per Page $0.42 P104 Labels Print Services Monthly/Per Page $0.49 P107 Service Request Name Link
258 RACF Customer Authorization Form Request RACF Customer Authorization Form
CICS – Z Systems Request CICS
Disk or Tape Datasets Request Disk or Tape Datasets
zSystems VPS (Add, Delete, Modify) Request Mainframe VPS (Add, Delete, Modify)
Non-Expiring RACF Password Request Non-Expiring RACF Password
ADABAS Database Services Request ADABAS Database Services
zSystems Dedicated Software Request Mainframe Dedicated Software
zSystems Network Services Request z Systems Network Services
Off-Shift Support Request Off-Shift Support
1. The Customer develops their capacity requirements.
2. The Customer creates an architectural diagram.
3. The Customer creates and submits a Service Request with requirements and diagram attached.
4. The Customer requests their Account Lead to schedule a technical overview meeting to review the Customer's business needs/requirements and specifications.
5. CDT develops a cost estimate.
6. CDT provisions the Application Hosting environment including hardware, software, and network-based on the architectural diagram.
7. The environment is turned over to the Customer.
Request Mainframe Services
Professional Services Request Professional Services