Learning Management System (LMS)
The Learning Management System (LMS) service offering provides State entities a COTS (Commercial-Off-The-Shelf) solution that enables the delivery, tracking, reporting and administration of training courses. A list of state-approved LMS vendors provide Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) systems configured to interact with the state’s new Unique Employee ID (UEID), enabling enhanced security of employee data, and moving toward a centralized view of an employee’s training across their career with the state.
More information on EnterpriseHR initiatives can be found on the CalHR website.
- Contracts were awarded to Cornerstone and Blackboard.
- Certification completed.
- Department on-boarding and implementation activities are in progress.
- Customers planning to leverage the LMS Vendor Hosted Subscription Service (VHSS) are recommended to complete the CDT VHSS for LMS Implementation Planning Checklist (PDF)
- See Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
- Centralized location for state employee training information
- Statewide data sharing standards for LMS capabilities
- Effortless compliance tracking for mandated training
- Training records will follow employees throughout their state career
- Enhanced security delivered through the use of a UEID
- Low-cost hosting solution, no capital expenditures, pay per use model
- Effortless upgrades – SaaS provider manages all updates and upgrades
Customers have the option to start with the out-of-the-box application or configure the tool to meet unique business requirements (additional implementation services may require separate procurement contracts and fees). CDT provides a vehicle for customers to subscribe to vendor-hosted subscription services, providing volume discounts by consolidating licenses into one contract. In addition, VHSS also provides:
- Contract management
- Vendor invoice receipt, review, approval, and payment
- The procurement process including contract negotiations, purchase order generation, and contract renewals
- Software subscription tracking and renewal by customer
- Essential administrative activities in support of the above functions
- NIST 800 – 171 standard and the DGS Cloud Computing Services and Special Provisions publication
- Requires Department of General Services’ Cloud Computing Special Provisions SaaS and California State Administrative Manual (SAM) policy
- SAM 5305
- Learning Management System (LMS) includes encryption of confidential sensitive or personal information in accordance with SAM 5350.1 and SIMM 5305-A
- Section 508
- LMS integrates with 3rd party authentication
- LMS solution accepts Single Sign-On (SSO) security tokens
- Compliance with statewide policies and laws regarding the use and protection of information assets and data
Please follow the process outlined on the Request tab to obtain a quote.
The rate schedule represents standard CDT services. If a Customer requires technology solutions that are not part of the standard, CDT will review the Customer’s request and provide customized pricing as necessary.
Service Description Service Identifier Product Name Unit of Measurement Rate Service Code Notes
Learning Management System (LMS) - Cornerstone Cornerstone Learning Management System (LMS) Vendor Cost + 4.58%** See Link Cornerstone K203-LMS A 4.58% VHSS Fee will be added
Learning Management System (LMS) - Blackboard LMS Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) Vendor Cost + 4.58%** See Link Blackboard LMS K204-LMS A 4.58% VHSS Fee will be added
To request this VHSS service, please follow the below process:
- The Customer completes the CDT VHSS for LMS Implementation Planning Checklist (PDF) to define general requirements for the department, resource availability, and implementation readiness.
- The Customer contacts the VHSS Vendor and schedules a meeting to discuss requirements.
Vendor Name (and Product) Contract Number Contact Name Phone Alternate Phone InSync Consulting Services LLC (Cornerstone OnDemand) 17-11630 Tim Coxen (916) 244-2085 (800) 638-9798
Taborda Solutions (Blackboard) 17-11634 Bear Williams (916) 717-8711 (916) 990-9864 Bear.email@example.com
- The Vendor provides a Business Proposal for new services or a price quote for additional/renewal services to the Customer.
- The Customer submits a Case/Request to CDT requesting services with the Business Proposal or quote attached.
- The Case/Request must contain the following information in the narrative:
- The timeframe to utilize the service,
- A list of general requirements, and
- A budgetary quote or a business proposal.
- IT Procurement Management (ITPM) reviews, processes, and approves the Case/Request.
- Once all approvals are received, ITPM releases a work authorization.
- The VHSS vendor will work with the Customer to schedule a walk-through of the application and make necessary configuration changes if any.
- The Customer will notify ITPM once the services are completed so that the department can accept the vendor invoice and bill the customer.
To Subscribe, Change/Renew, Discontinue, or Request a Cost Estimate for LMS VHSS, submit a Case/Request and choose the Learning Management System option from the VHSS drop down list: Order Now
Which LMS products are available through the VHSS-LMS contract?
Multiple options are available from Blackboard and Cornerstone.
What is the cost of an LMS License?
Licenses vary by vendor and modules/services selected. The total cost includes a 4.58% CDT administrative fee. Obtain a custom quote from each Vendor listed on the Rates tab of this page.
How are user license costs determined?
User license costs are based on the number of people who need access to the LMS, not the number of student records maintained in the system.
How are license costs charged?
There is an annual license subscription. Each year, customers will submit a ServiceNow case to renew their LMS licenses.
Can we do a multi-year contract?
No, VHSS-LMS is an annual-based license subscription. Departments will have to submit yearly renewals to continue with the licenses initially purchased.
Does the CDT contract allow Customers to customize the service offering?
Customers are unable to customize the service offering or contract terms. If Customers wish to purchase LMS features not offered under CDT’s VHSS-LMS contract, a separate contract can be executed directly with the LMS Vendor outside of the VHSS-LMS contract.
If Blackboard or Cornerstone licenses are procured outside the CDT contract, can customers buy implementation services through CDT’s VHSS-LMS contract?
CDT’s VHSS-LMS contract covers licenses only. The Vendor will assist the Customer in implementing the licenses and EntHR integration only within the VHSS-LMS contract. Please see the Vendor service catalogs for more information.
Customers may execute a separate Professional Services contract with CDT for project management services in support of the VHSS-LMS implementation. Alternatively, the Vendor may offer a separate contract for additional implementation services.
Additional implementation services for Departments can be executed via a separate contract outside of the VHSS-LMS contract. CDT is not responsible for the service management of those contracts.
Are Departments required to choose one of CDT’s VHSS-LMS Vendors or can they choose one from the Department of General Services (DGS) Software License Product (SLP) offerings?
Customers can choose from either offering; however, CDT’s service offering may include significant savings by bundling products and services, including the option to electronically exchange employee learning data at the statewide level which enables tracking state employee training throughout their state career.
If my Department already purchased Blackboard or Cornerstone licenses through another source, can I purchase the Application Program Interface (API) from CDT to share learning data with other Departments?
No, however, CDT will work with Blackboard or Cornerstone to migrate your existing licenses to the CDT VHSS-LMS contract, which will give your Department access to share the training data at the statewide level.
Can Department-specific courses be added to the Blackboard and Cornerstone LMS without software changes?
Yes, the LMS is configurable. Department-specific courses and content can be added without requiring programming changes to the software.
What is included in the Cornerstone Performance Management and Succession Planning modules?
Performance Management is a comprehensive enterprise-level module. It includes performance appraisals, goal setting, goal management, social performance management, off-cycle reviews, competency management, individual development plans, competency assessments, and observation checklists. The Succession Planning module includes succession planning, 9 box grid, talent pools, talent search, organization charts, and career center.
Who is responsible for ensuring that the Vendor meets the Department’s needs?
The Department and Vendor are responsible to document and manage the agreed-upon scope of work and schedule before the contract is signed. It is the Department’s responsibility to execute the project using project management best practices, assign appropriate resources, and meet with the Vendor regularly to effectively manage the project. CDT or CalHR are not responsible for resolving project management issues on the Department’s behalf with the Vendor or negotiating any discount on the contracts. However, CDT and CalHR can advise if there are issues related to the integration with Enterprise Human Resources (EntHR).
If the base VHSS-LMS product doesn’t meet the Department’s requirements, then a solicitation from the Vendor(s) outside of the VHSS contract for customization and/or implementation services should be considered.
What is a Certification test?
Vendor Certification Testing consisted of 27 test scenarios with several test cases within. These tests represented a set of comprehensive test cases to ensure the interoperability requirements agreed to by the State and the Vendor are being met prior to department use of the LMS Vendor Hosted Subscription (VHSS) system.
Cornerstone and Blackboard both completed and passed the certification tests which validated each vendor is able to exchange and process data between their system and the Enterprise Human Resources (EntHR) Learning Management Core Record (LCR). The LCR is the CalHR central repository of historical training records at the statewide level.
What additional information is available on each product?
The Cornerstone marketing brochure is available at https://insynconline.net/learning-management-software/
The Blackboard marketing brochure is available at https://optm.com/northamerica/solutions-west/learning-management-system