Learning Management System (LMS)
The Learning Management System (LMS) service offering provides State entities a COTS (Commercial-Off-The-Shelf) solution that enables the delivery, tracking, reporting and administration of training courses. A list of state-approved LMS vendors provide Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) systems configured to interact with the state’s new Unique Employee ID (UEID), enabling enhanced security of employee data, and moving toward a centralized view of an employee’s training across their career with the state.
More information on EnterpriseHR initiatives can be found on the CalHR website.
- Contracts were awarded to Cornerstone and BlackboardLMS.
- Certification completed.
- Department on-boarding activities are in progress.
- Customers planning to leverage the LMS Vendor Hosted Subscription Service (VHSS) will need to complete the LMS VHSS Implementation Planning Checklist.
- See Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
- Customers planning to leverage the LMS VHSS will need to complete the LMS VHSS Implementation Planning Checklist.
- Centralized location for state employee training information
- Statewide data sharing standards for LMS capabilities
- Effortless compliance tracking for mandated training
- Training records will follow employees throughout their careers
- Enhanced security delivered through the use of a unique employee ID
- Low-cost hosting solution, no capital expenditures, pay per use model
- Effortless upgrades – SaaS provider manages all updates and upgrades
Customers have the option to start with the out-of-the-box application or configure the tool to meet unique business requirements (additional implementation services may require separate procurement contracts and fees).
CDT provides a vehicle for customers to subscribe to vendor hosted subscription services, providing volume discounts by consolidating licenses into one contract. In addition, VHSS also provides:
- Service fulfillment.
- Contract management.
- Service management.
- Vendor management.
- Vendor invoice receipt, review, approval and payment.
- Procurement process including contract negotiations, purchase order generation and contract renewals.
- Software subscription tracking and renewal by customer.
- Essential administrative activities in support of the above functions.
Roles & Responsibilities can be found on the Vendor Hosted Service Standards page.
- NIST 800 – 171 standard and the DGS Cloud Computing Services and Special Provisions publication.
- Requires Department of General Services’ Cloud Computing Special Provisions SaaS and California State Administrative Manual (SAM) policy.
- SAM 5305.
- Learning Management System (LMS) includes encryption of confidential sensitive or personal information in accordance with SAM 5350.1 and SIMM 5305-A
- Section 508.
- LMS integrates with 3rd party authentication.
- LMS solution accepts Single Sign-On (SSO) security tokens.
- Compliance with statewide policies and laws regarding the use and protection of information assets and data.
Please follow the process outlined on the Request tab to obtain a quote.
|Service Code||Service Description||Unit of Measurement||Rate||Notes|
|K203||Learning Management System (LMS) - Cornerstone||Vendor Cost + 4.58%|
|K204||Learning Management System (LMS) - Blackboard LMS||Vendor Cost + 4.58%|
Please direct any questions regarding this service to your Account Lead.
To request this VHSS service, please follow the below process:
- The Customer completes the LMS VHSS Implementation Planning Checklist to define general requirements for the department, resource availability and implementation readiness.
- The Customer contacts the VHSS Vendor and schedules a meeting to discuss requirements.
|Vendor Name (and Product)||Contract Number||Contact Name||Phone||Alternate Phone|
|InSync Consulting Services LLC (Cornerstone OnDemand)||17-11630||Jonathon Marshall||(916) 244-2085||(888) 641-3444 | (916) 244-2085||Jmarshall@insynconline.net|
|Taborda Solutions (Blackboard)||17-11634||Bear Williams||(916) 717-8711||(916) 990-9864||Bear.firstname.lastname@example.org|
- The Vendor provides a Business Proposal for new services or a price quote for additional/renewal services to the Customer.
- The Customer submits a Service Request to CDT requesting services with the Business Proposal or quote attached.
- The Service Request must contain the following information in the narrative:
- The timeframe to utilize the service,
- A list of general requirements, and
- A budgetary quote or a business proposal.
- IT Procurement Management (ITPM) reviews, processes, and approves the request.
- Once all approvals are received, ITPM releases a work authorization.
- The VHSS vendor will work with the Customer to schedule a walk-through the application and make necessary configuration changes, if any.
- The Customer will notify ITPM once the services are completed so that the department can accept the vendor invoice and bill the customer.
To Subscribe, Change/Renew, Discontinue, or Request a Cost Estimate for LMS VHSS, submit a Service Request through Remedy and choose the Learning Management System option from the VHSS drop down list: Request Service Now
Which vendors were acquired for this contract?
How much does it cost for Cornerstone? Is the cost per person or a group license?
How much does it cost for Blackboard? Is the cost per person or a group license?
Since Cornerstone’s base price runs from 0 to 5000 or 5000+ depending on the number of users, what’s the definition of 'users'? Does it mean the number of staff accessing the system? Or does 'users' mean the number of students being tracked?
Are vendor rates annual or monthly?
Can we host courses or content created by our department in the California Department of Technology (CDT) LMS offering and include that in the courses that our staff take? We are not looking to customize the application itself or the standard content that it includes, but rather adding department-specific courses, as needed.
Does CDT's contract allow for customization?
If a department already has licenses with either Blackboard or Cornerstone and are interested in the LMS solution, can they purchase implementation services through CDT's LMS VHSS?
Our department is thinking about purchasing an LMS solution. Are there marketing brochures available covering the features of each vendor’s VHSS offering?
My department is considering selecting a Learning Management System through the Department of General Service’s Software License Product (SLP). Are departments required to choose one of the LMS VHSS providers or can they choose from the SLP offerings?
It is important to note that CalHR will eventually issue a policy letter for departments to interface with the statewide LMS data layer. Before investing in an LMS solution, departments should review the statewide data sharing requirements included in the VHSS contract and the potential cost for incorporating the data exchange capabilities into their LMS solution.