State Hiring Process
Phase 1: Apply for a State Job
Visit the California State Jobs website and follow the steps on How to Apply for a State Job, to obtain eligibility and apply for job vacancies. You will learn how to:
- Create a CalCareer account on the California State Jobs website
- Take and pass an examination
- Search and apply for jobs
- Department of Technology Job Vacancies: To find current CDT vacancies, visit our CDT Job Openings page.
- Students: To apply for a Student position, an examination is not required. For more information on the Student Program, visit our Students page.
Phase 2: Prepare for the Hiring Interview
After you have applied for a State job, you may be offered an interview. The hiring interview is designed to identify the most qualified candidate for that specific job opening.
To prepare for your interview, review the duties and responsibilities listed on the Job Opportunity Bulletin. Acquaint yourself with the department’s or agency’s mission and functions and how the position you are seeking contributes. If you are not selected, continue applying for other job openings for which you are qualified.
Phase 3: Serve a Probationary Period
Once you have been hired into State service, you will serve a probationary period of 6 or 12 months, depending on your classification. When you have successfully completed probation, you will attain permanent status as a State employee. However, unsuccessful performance may lead to rejection during probation and failure to attain permanent status.
For More Information
For more information about the State’s examination and civil service process, and to find additional job openings, please visit the following webpages: